Are you looking to redesign your home?
If you are, take a look at these 7 tips we have to help you redesign your home. Redesigning and remodeling a home can be expensive and stressful. The tips below should help you better prepare for your house remodel and give you a better insight on how to handle any difficulties that may arise.
Follow these 7 tips to assist you in redesigning your home:
- Don’t redesign your home with a plan – This may be obvious but needs to be said. To begin the process you need to hire a professional to design plans for you. Some people like to cut cost and save where they can when it comes to a redesign or remodel. This is not one of the ways you want to try and save money. You get what you pay for and if you try to do it yourself or hire a non-professional, you will end up paying for it later on when changes need to be made by a contractor for drawings they do not understand. Prepare your budget accordingly and make sure there is money in the pot for a professional designer.
- Develop your plan and take action – The worst thing you can do is have a professional develop a plan and then you sit on it for a few months or a year plus. When a professional develops plans for you with a cost estimate, usually those cost estimates are based on current prices and if you sit on a plan those cost will most likely go up meaning the budget you trying to save for needs to be a little higher.
- Determine early if you have a lemon – When determining the type of remodel you want to do for your home, first investigate to see if the area you plan to remodel is worth it. Oftentimes people remodel an area or a house and the want to hold on to certain elements when it may be more cost effective to tear the area down and start from scratch.
- Have a contingency fund – When you begin the process of determining your budget for the remodel, always include a 10% contingency fund. This is a fund that you have in reserves in the event something goes wrong. Based on past personal experience and the experience of others you can almost guarantee something will go wrong or cost more than you think once construction begins.
- Stick to your plan – The best way to have your budget balloon out of control is to not make up your mind and delay making decisions. When you constantly change your mind during construction and decide on different materials after you have chosen one, that is when cost increase. Make sure during the plan development process you get all your questions answered so you are comfortable with what they plan shows, then during construction few changes will need to be made.
- Plan to live elsewhere – If you are doing a house remodel, even if it is a small portion of the house it is best to live someplace else. The amount of debris and noise that will take place during the construction process will most likely be a nuisance. So it is best not to be around the construction as certain areas can be unsafe for young children, the elderly or pets.
- Lower the distractions – During construction the less distractions that happens the faster your project is completed. To help out with this you want to make sure that you are not a distraction to the construction workers while during the construction process. Try not to have long conversations with people while they are working on your project because that can prolong them with completing their task and add onto your bill since many subcontractors are paid hourly.
These 7 tips will help you better prepare for home remodel and give you a better chance at success. Stay tuned to future articles that will give you additional information to help you in your redesign project.